Crashes at Ship Dealers

Need help? Got questions? Check in here...
Nameless
Tekagi's Veteran

Crashes at Ship Dealers

Post by Nameless » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I keep forgetting that ship dealers at places like Azariah force a reboot/log out by locking my dang system. Yes I know it's being worked on, I'm just grumping because it's annoying. :x

Fenris_Wolf
Mad Scientist

Re: Crashes at Ship Dealers

Post by Fenris_Wolf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I was unaware of this one... "places like Azariah"..is there others that are causing this too?
Not sure why it would for a logout/reboot of your system though instead of something like a CTD

HarlanDi
Freelancer

Post by HarlanDi » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Was this issue fixed? Should I avoid Azariah or something? I've never experienced crashing there before but I also haven't played in forever.

Fenris_Wolf
Mad Scientist

Post by Fenris_Wolf » Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Couldn't be reproduced. I tested Azariah and multiple other bases he was having issues with. I think we narrowed the problem down to some driver issues he was having, but honestly I can't remember now. But should be ok for you to go there.

Nameless
Tekagi's Veteran

Post by Nameless » Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 am

Fenris_Wolf wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm
Couldn't be reproduced. I tested Azariah and multiple other bases he was having issues with. I think we narrowed the problem down to some driver issues he was having, but honestly I can't remember now. But should be ok for you to go there.
Driver issues is the best explanation I can think of. Random crashes and lockups that are, frankly, baffling. Best guess is FL was written for DirectX 8 and Windows 10 has DX 12.
Have had weird problems with Diablo 2, TES: Oblivion and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and a few other oldy but goodies. Have updated all drivers and all that and weirdness is an occasional problem still.

FlSpew.txt has been, well unhelpful. I currently have it set as an empty read-only file. Last major problem was moving through Maboroshi searching for the Geneii jumphole when the game CTDed and FLSpew ended up being over 3.5 GIGABYTES. Used HxD to look at the file as nothing was going to open it as a text file. Almost the entirety of the file was complaints about DX8. <shrug>

Problem is not in the mod, or in Freelancer, it's in my integrated graphics and its ability to work with old versions of DirectX.

Fenris_Wolf
Mad Scientist

Post by Fenris_Wolf » Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 am

Nameless wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:15 am
FlSpew.txt has been, well unhelpful. I currently have it set as an empty read-only file. Last major problem was moving through Maboroshi searching for the Geneii jumphole when the game CTDed and FLSpew ended up being over 3.5 GIGABYTES. Used HxD to look at the file as nothing was going to open it as a text file. Almost the entirety of the file was complaints about DX8. <shrug>
Just a thought on the large FLSpew, we're using the ENBSeries, which 'may' be contributing to that problem for you. Try deleting the d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll, d3d9_26.dll, enbconvertor.ini and enbseries.ini from the freelancer/exe folder. The auto updater has these files blacklisted so it wont replace them, as some people have reported issues with them on win10, though other people seem to be fine.

Nameless
Tekagi's Veteran

Post by Nameless » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 am

Will give that a try right now. Got an audiobook I need to finish listening to anyways. :D

Nameless
Tekagi's Veteran

Post by Nameless » Fri May 18, 2018 1:58 am

Nameless wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 am
Will give that a try right now. Got an audiobook I need to finish listening to anyways. :D
Crashed at Fantomu shipdealer. Got rid of the ENB stuff beforehand, re-installing mod and running updater again. If still crapping out will get rid of all graphics enhancements at the driver level. (Anti-aliasing, etc.)

Nope, still crashing. Geforce GTX 745 is the integrated graphics in this thing. Just not giving a darn anymore. I know to avoid certain merchants and to expect an occasional CTD or lockup. Not the mod, just being stuck with a cheapo graphics solution on a cheapo computer from Dell.

Fenris_Wolf
Mad Scientist

Post by Fenris_Wolf » Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 am

Should have gone cheaper...running it with a intel HD 3000 here lol

Nameless
Tekagi's Veteran

Post by Nameless » Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 am

Fenris_Wolf wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 am
Should have gone cheaper...running it with a intel HD 3000 here lol
Well, I can run Skyrim on this thing. That's the main thing I was concerned with. Man, the number of hours I put into that game are ridiculous.